This is a new segment I will try to maintain on a daily basis. It is a short list of important, interesting articles I highly suggest reading when you have time (i.e. while eating breakfast, during your lunch, as a break from working, etc.). If you are unable to read them in full, worry not! I will also provide summaries and key points to the articles when I can.
Most importantly, everyone becomes stressed and the many different issues occurring daily combined with the stresses of every day life exacerbate this problem. As a reward for finishing articles and reading, I will be providing a “Mental Healing” link at the bottom of every Daily Dose. This link has nothing to do with any news, it is simply something I hope will make you laugh or find extremely adorable, something to take your mind off of the world, if only momentarily, and something you can revisit as many times as you please when you just need a break from life and the stresses that undoubtedly come with it. Be warned, there will be expletives and the like sometimes but I think a little explicit sass is warranted. I hope you enjoy this segment the most.
http://www.businessinsider.com/chart-that-shows-head-start-white-families-have-over-black-families-2017-2 (originally published on Slate)
Inequality statistics provided by Demos (left-leaning think tank) and Institute on Assets and Social Policy at Brandeis University
- Median white household headed by high-school dropout is wealthier than median black household headed by someone who went to college
- Two-parent black families have a lower median net worth than white single parents
- Black Americans younger than 55 who work full time have a $1,600 higher median net worth than whites who work part time
- This inequality is the result of years of discrimination, not individual life choices and personal achievements
Tom Price’s (Health and Human Services secretary-elect) replacement plan for the Affordable Care Act: Empowering Patients First Act
- Restricts, but doesn’t ban, discriminating against people with preexisting conditions
- Makes insurance better for the young and healthy while making it far more expensive for old and/or sick
- Tax credits based on age rather than the ACA’s income-based credits (meaning Bill Gates would qualify for the largest tax credit despite being a billionaire)
- Repeals Medicaid expansion with no replacement
- Makes health plans significantly more expensive for those with employer-sponsored insurance
Notes: Price does not have the authority to replace the ACA but does have a large role in negotiations and implementation
Saydnaya, a Syrian military prison
- Report filed by Amnesty International after a year of research and interviews with guards, prisoners, judges, and doctors details extensive torture and extrajudicial killing
- Estimated 5000-13000 civilians executed between 2011 and 2015
- Civilians kidnapped and tortured into confessions before being sentenced
Long but very worthy read by Ta-Nehisi Coates concerning the historic origins of systematic racism and how it has led to the racial wealth gap we see in America today. This includes sharecropping and tyranny in Southern states, Northern anti-black housing ordinances/predatory housing contracts,
- The average per capita income of Chicago’s white neighborhoods is almost three times that of its black neighborhoods
- A black neighborhood with one of the highest incarceration rates had a rate more than forty times higher than a white neighborhood with the highest rate
- The income gap between black and white households is roughly the same today as it was in 1970
- 4 percent of whites and 62 percent of blacks across America have been raised in poor neighborhoods
- For the past 25 years, Congressman John Conyers Jr. has introduced a bill calling for a congressional study of slavery and its lingering effects as well as recommendations for “appropriate remedies.” It has never made it to the House floor.
Things That Make Me Laugh and Cry At the Same Time
Department of Education misspells “W.E.B. Du Bois” in a tweet, then misspells “apologies” in apology tweet
GOP incorrectly attributes a quote to Lincoln in tweet
If you don’t watch John Oliver’s show (and Samantha Bee’s show) every week, I highly recommend watching all of their episodes
Starting G-rated and adorable! If this doesn’t melt your heart and make you smile, I can’t help you..